Storytelling for the Web
- Since viewers can click away at anytime, it’s important to keep your story moving at all times. Make sure the action is tight and the dialogue is snappy
- Cut unnecessary dialogue if a character intention can be communicated with a look or an action
- Get rid of anything that’s excessive or “pure exposition” telling the viewers exactly what’s going on
- Cut down your descriptions to only the things that are absolutely necessary to see on screen
- Look out for redundancies, and get rid of anything you’re showing twice
- Keep viewers engaged by ending early – better to have them wanting more than getting bored
Cut out an extra dialogue, description, or action that doesn’t keep the story moving forward.